Lt Gen Amrik Singh, SM
1. Lieutenant General Amrik Singh, Sena Medal was commissioned into the KUMAON Regiment of the Indian Army on 09 June 1979. He is an alumnus of St Xavier School, Ranchi, National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun. The General holds Master of Science (Defence Studies) and Master of Philosophy degrees. He has attended all prestigious courses in the Army, including the Staff Course at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, Higher Command Course, Mhow and the revered National Defence College, New Delhi. The General is well travelled and has visited several foreign countries on various military assignments.
2. In his variegated military career, he has held varied command, staff and instructional appointments, which include command of KUMAON SCOUTS in a High Altitude Area. He has commanded an Infantry Brigade in the semi deserts and a Sub Area in the Left Wing Extremism belt. He has served as General Staff Officer Grade 1 (Operations) of a Corps in Eastern Sector, Director in the Military Operations Directorate and Deputy Director General (Rashtriya Rifles) at the Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army). He has been an Instructor at the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun and the Infantry School, Mhow.
3. As General Officer Commanding a RAPID Infantry Division in the desert sector, he was instrumental in raising the operational threshold of the Division as an Integrated Battle Group. He has been the Director General (Resettlement) at the Ministry of Defence. Prior to taking over as Commandant Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, he was the Chief of Staff, Eastern Command. The General is an environmentalist by nature, an outdoor person and a keen sportsman.
4. The General Officer during his illustrious career having served in all operational environments in the country has been decorated with a Sena Medal and Commendation Cards by the Chief of Army Staff and General Officer Commanding-in-Chief for exponential contribution in operations and meritorious service of an exemplary order.
5. The General Officer is happily married to Mrs Balvinder Kaur. They have two sons, Pranit (30 years) and Jasnit (27 years). Pranit is a Regional Manager (Asia Pacific) for American Express and Jasnit is a pilot with Indigo Airlines.
6. Mrs Balvinder Kaur holds a Masters’ degree and is an educationist. She has special achievements in supporting separated families as part of station responsibility, and was pivotal in raising a school for children and setting up a vocational training centre in the border town of Dharchula and at Lucknow. Her model for the revamped vocational training centre was adopted as a baseline model by the higher formation. She has also been associated with raising of Army Skill Development Centre at Kolkata for families and dependents. This Centre is affiliated to PMKVY Scheme of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship. Fond of travelling, she likes listening to religious and light music and promoting health awareness.