LT GEN VIRENDRA VATS, YSM, SM, VSM
1. Lieutenant General Virendra Vats, Yudh Seva Medal, Sena Medal, Vishisht Seva Medal was commissioned into 19 KUMAON on 17 Dec 1988. He is an alumnus of National Defence Academy, Defence Services Staff College, College of Defence Management and National Defence College.
2. The General Officer has commanded his unit in Operation RHINO, a Brigade along Line of Actual Control & Operation RHINO and an Infantry Division on Line of Control in Kashmir Valley.
3. He has been an Instructor at Infantry School, Brigade Major of a Mountain Brigade, Assistant Military Secretary in Military Secretary’s Branch, Director Military Training, Defence Attaché to Commander-in-Chief Andaman and Nicobar Command, Director Military Operations in Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army), Brigadier General Staff (Concepts) in Headquarters Army Training Command (ARTRAC) and Brigadier Military Secretary (A) in Military Secretary’s Branch. Prior to his present appointment, he was the Assistant Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Training and Doctrine) at Headquarters Integrated Defence Staff.
4. The General Officer has served abroad in United Nations Mission in Congo (MONUSCO) where he was deployed as a Military Observer and subsequently he commanded an Infantry Brigade Group of the same mission.
5. He was awarded Sena Medal (Distinguished) while commanding his unit, Vishisht Seva Medal while serving in Military Operations Directorate and Yudh Seva Medal for his command of a Division. He has also been awarded Chief of the Army Staff Commendation Card and Commander in Chief Andaman and Nicobar Command Commendation Card.
6. The General is married to Mrs Namita Vats who is a Human Resource professional. She is currently a home maker and an ardent promoter of welfare of families of serving soldiers and veterans. The couple is blessed with a son, Aryan Vats who is currently pursuing his Masters in Business Administration in Symbiosis College, Pune.
7. The General is presently serving as the Commandant of Defence Services Staff College since 01 Sep 22.